- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (or substitute peeled, deveined shrimp)*
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1/4 pound grated cotija cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and toast in oven 5-7 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add broth and salsa. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken, corn and tortilla strips; simmer 8-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and tortilla strips are soft and falling apart. Serve hot, topped with cheese and sour cream.
*For a shortcut, substitute shredded, cooked chicken or one can pinto beans, drained and rinsed.