- Vegetable oil
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced, divided
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 4 cups spinach leaves, washed and chopped
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a small amount of oil in a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven.
Add carrot and 1/2 of onion. Sauté over medium-high heat until onion is translucent.
Add lentils and cover with water. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Drain lentils and set aside.
Wipe pan, add a small amount of oil and return to medium-high heat.
Add remaining onion and sauté until translucent.
Add curry powder and stir for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add cooked lentils, tomatoes and chicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir until heated through.
Add spinach and stir until wilted.
Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. Adjust seasoning and serve hot.