- 4 pounds fresh baby spinach (or 4 (10 ounce) packages
- frozen spinach)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups half-and half
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled (optional)
- 3/4 cup grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large wide-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven. Sauté onions and garlic until softened. Add fresh spinach, cover and cook for 1 minute. Remove cover and continue to cook for 1 minute to let excess moisture evaporate. For frozen spinach, squeeze out as much moisture as possible, then stir into cooked onions and garlic. Add half-and-half and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and add cream cheese, bacon, Swiss cheese and nutmeg. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Can be made ahead to this point and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Bake uncovered at 350°F for about 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.