- 1 cup long-grain white rice (not Basmati), rinsed three times
- 6-8 cups stock or bone broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 2-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks, divided
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 10-15 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 pound shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup prepared crispy fried onions
- Sesame and chili oils
Add rice, 6 cups of stock, garlic and half the ginger to a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring often as not to scorch the congee. Season to taste with salt and a pinch of sugar. Simmer until congee reaches your preferred consistency. Add more stock for thinner congee.
When congee is desired thickness, add chicken and mushrooms and warm through. Divide among serving bowls and top with green onions, crispy fried onions, ginger, sesame and chili oil.