- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup whole milk,
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1/2 pound pepper bacon, cooked crisp, crumbled (optional)
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Add to a stockpot and cover with cold water.
Add 1 tablespoon kosher salt.
Bring to a boil and cook until tender.
While potatoes are cooking, shred cabbage and boil for 5-7 minutes or until it turns a darker color.
Add 2 tablespoons of butter, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
Drain, then return to a low heat to evaporate any remaining water.
When potatoes are done, drain and return to heat for 2 minutes.
Heat remaining butter and milk in a microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute to melt butter and heat milk.
Add to potatoes and mash.
Add cabbage, bacon, onion and salt and pepper to taste.
Stir to combine.
Place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley.