- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) bottle Chilau Sauce
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen cut okra (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced andouille sausage (brown first if desired)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken (thigh is best)
- 1 1/2 cups medium shrimp (peeled, deveined and tail off)
- 1-2 teaspoons gumbo filé herbal powder
Melt butter in a medium-size pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and pepper and season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until tender and beginning to brown.
Add Chilau Sauce and broth. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the okra, sausage and chicken and simmer 10 minutes more. Add shrimp and gumbo filé powder and stir until shrimp are bright pink and cooked through.
Serve over long-grain white rice and garnish with green onions and hot sauce on the side.
Try topping this dish with cooked crab or simmer crab legs in the broth for even more flavorful gumbo.