- 1 pound tomatillos, cleaned
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 medium white onion, cut into wedges
- 2 pounds bone-in, skin-on thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (4-ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Rice to serve
- 1 can (15 ounces) of your favorite beans (optional)
Place tomatillos, onions and jalapeños on a baking sheet 6 inches from element.
Broil, turning as needed, to char slightly on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Remove stems and seeds from peppers and place remaining ingredients in food processor. Pulse 6-8 times. Sauce should still be somewhat chunky.
Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until crisp and golden brown.
Flip and cook until browned.
Remove from pan and drain oil.
Reduce heat to medium, return chicken to pan, and add sauce.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and stir in beans if using.
Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Chicken should be falling off bone.
Adjust seasoning and serve over rice with desired garnishes.