- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, chopped (thyme, oregano, basil, chives, marjoram, rosemary, sage, etc.)
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Add first seven ingredients and 1 cup of the shredded cheese to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times to combine. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Lightly beat egg with buttermilk. Pour into dry ingredients and pulse several more times, just until mixture comes together.
Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to form a rounded shape.
Press out to form a flat disc, 8-10 inches in diameter. Cut into 8 triangle pieces.
Place pieces onto a lightly sprayed baking sheet (or line baking sheet with a silicone baking mat). Top each scone with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and additional black pepper.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.