- 1/2 cup peppadew or piquillo peppers
- 2 1/2 cups coleslaw cabbage mix, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced very small
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 (16-ounce) cans refried beans
- 1 (8-ounce) package Cotija or queso fresco cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups pico de gallo
- 1 cup prepared guacamole
- 1 (16-ounce) tub Mexican-style sour cream
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Drain peppers, reserving oil. Chop into small pieces. In a mixing bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon reserved oil, vinegar and sugar. Add cabbage; toss well. Set aside for 15 minutes, tossing every few minutes, then drain excess dressing from cabbage. Heat a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add just enough oil to coat bottom of pan. Add onion; season with salt and pepper.
Stir frequently until onion is translucent. Add chili powder. Stir constantly for 1 minute, or until chili is fragrant.
Combine cooked onions in a mixing bowl with beans; stir together. Build dip in a 9"x13"x2" baking pan or similar-sized casserole dish. Layer in order: beans, peppers, cabbage, cheese, Guaca Salsa, salsa and sour cream.
Garnish with green onions and cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.