- 6 strips good-quality bacon
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups day-old Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint ripe cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup pitted, diced kalamata olives
- 16 ounces mixed greens
In a heavy skillet, fry bacon until just crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Pour drippings into a small mixing bowl. Whisk in oil.
In another small mixing bowl, combine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and salt and pepper. Whisk in oil mixture and adjust to taste, adding more vinegar or salt and pepper.
In a large mixing bowl, toss together bread and most of dressing, reserving 2-3 tablespoons. Let sit for 30 minutes.
To serve, add tomatoes, onion, parsley and olives and toss together lightly. Add remaining dressing, toss, taste and correct seasoning if necessary.
Spread greens on a serving platter and top with bread salad. Crumble bacon over salad and serve immediately.