- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound bratwurst sausage links
- 1 medium leek, pale green and white parts, sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (Bulk Foods), optional
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound fingerling or marble potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 head green cabbage, quartered and sliced
- 1/3 cup spicy mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream to garnish
Heat a medium soup pot to medium-high. Add about 1 tablespoon oil to the pot, then add sausages and brown very well on all sides. Remove sausages from pan and set aside. Add leeks and potatoes (add more oil if needed). Season well with salt and pepper. Stir frequently until leeks start to become tender.
Meanwhile, slice the sausage into bite-size pieces. When the leeks are tender, add the sausage back to the pot, along with the caraway seeds. Stir for about 20 seconds. Add the broth, cabbage and mustard. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, topped with a dollop of sour cream.