- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4-6 slices prosciutto (optional)
- 3/4 cup toasted Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 3 cups basic marinara sauce (homemade or jarred)
Lay steak on a cutting board with the grain running horizontal to you. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the pieces of prosciutto, if using. Evenly coat with the breadcrumbs, garlic, cheese, parsley and basil.
Beginning at one end, carefully roll steak into a pinwheel, keeping all the layers intact, to form a log. Tie with kitchen string. Drizzle liberally with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, brown the rolled steak in olive oil on all sides over medium-high heat until well browned. Add wine if using to deglaze pan. Bring wine to a boil and reduce by half. Add marinara sauce, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 1 1/2 hours until beef is very tender. Remove beef roll, let rest 5 minutes and carefully slice into discs. Serve meat with sauce on top of spaghetti noodles, polenta or rice, garnished with cheese, parsley and basil.