- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ham, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained; or 1 cup dried black-eyed peas (available in our Bulk Foods), soaked and cooked (instructions below)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
Heat oil in a large pot. Sauté onion and garlic. Add ham and sauté until lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients except green onion. Bring to a boil and simmer to marry flavors, about 20 minutes. Top with green onions.
* To prepare the dried black-eyed peas: Rinse in cold water then soak in water 4-6 hours. Discard water, rinse and add water to 2 inches over the top of the peas. Salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and summer 35-40 minutes or until tender. Drain.