- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pumpkin seed (optional)
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon cumin or to taste
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Add quinoa to the broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and add remaining desired ingredients.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Alternately, to make this Italian: Use cannellini beans in place of black beans, and substitute parsley and basil or oregano for the cilantro and mint. Use pine nuts in place of pumpkin seed, lemon in place of lime and chili pepper in place of cumin.