- 1 (about 4-5 pounds) beef brisket
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue rub
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3/4 cup beer (or chicken broth)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Season brisket liberally with barbecue rub.
Make a large, double-layer bed of foil and spread onions over. Lay brisket over onions and wrap foil up around brisket.
Place on barbecue over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, bring remaining ingredients to a boil, and then hold over low heat. Baste brisket with beer mixture every 30-45 minutes for another 3-4 hours, or until tender.
The brisket is done when a knife slides in and out without tugging.
Slice thinly against the grain and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce.
To bake in the oven, wrap brisket as directed and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 250°F.