- 8 ounces pasta of your choice
- 1 vegetable or chicken bouillon cube
- 3/4 pound hot or sweet Italian sausage
- 8-10 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 6-8 stalks asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced on diagonal
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more to garnish
- About 1/2 cup pasta water
Cook pasta according to package directions, adding bouillon cube to cooking water and adding asparagus in last 3 minutes of cooking time.
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté sausage, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.
Remove from pan and drain all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
Add mushrooms and cook until tender and browned.
Return sausage to pan, along with olives.
Drain pasta and add to pan with asparagus.
Add pesto and stir to combine, adding pasta water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan.
Serve immediately and garnish with additional Parmesan.
Optional ingredients: Peas, broccoli or arugula in place of asparagus, chicken or prawns in place of sausage. Other garnishes include toasted pine nuts and parsley.