- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for frying tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 cup loosely packed, chopped fresh cilantro
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sour cream to garnish (optional)
Fry tortilla strips in hot oil for about 10 seconds, turning once. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion and sauté until tender, then add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add chicken, chipotle, cumin, tomatoes and chicken broth. Simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper.
Add tortillas and simmer for 5 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream.