- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage or chorizo (if using links, remove casings) or 8 ounces dried chorizo, linguisa or pepperoni, diced
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 pounds manila clams, well scrubbed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, chorizo, pepperoni or linguisa. Sauté, crumbling as it cooks, until browned and almost cooked through (if using dry chorizo, pepperoni or linguisa just brown a bit).
Add shallots, garlic and pepper flakes. Sauté until shallots are translucent. Add tomatoes, broth and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and return to a boil. Add clams. Cover and boil until clams open, about 5 minutes (discard any clams that do not open). Stir in basil and adjust seasoning to taste.