- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound diced Serrano ham or chorizo sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 pitted dried dates, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3-4 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 10 cups dried bread cubes or chunks
- 2/3 cup Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped Italian parsley
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced ham or chorizo and sauté until just beginning to brown. Add onion and garlic and sauté for one minute more. Add salt, pepper, wine and dates. Turn heat off and let pan cool slightly. In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and remaining ingredients. Add mixture from skillet and stir gently to mix evenly.
Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking pan with pan spray or coat lightly with olive oil. Place mixture in a baking pan and bake for 45 minutes, uncovered, on the middle shelf of the oven.