- 8 ounces penne rigate pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 - 1 pound mixed wild mushrooms
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 pound triple cream brie cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Red chili pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Heat oil in an 11-inch or larger deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and cook until slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
Reduce heat to low and add milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until milk barely starts to simmer.
Add mushroom base and whisk to combine.
Add cheese, rind and all, breaking into small pieces. Continue to stir occasionally. As cheese melts, increase heat and boil slightly to reduce sauce (it will not be very thick).
When pasta is done, scoop from pot with a large slotted spoon, shaking off most of water.
Add to sauce, along with mushrooms, tomatoes, Asiago and parsley.
Adding cooked Italian sausage and garnishing with toasted pine nuts, truffle oil and aged balsamic vinegar will put this dish over the top!