- 12 ounces dried pasta (such as penne, gemelli or trofie)
- 1 pound medium asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced lox, cut crosswise into thin strips
Cook pasta according to package directions in a large quantity of boiling salted water – adding the asparagus when there are two minutes left so the pasta comes out al dente and the asparagus is tender crisp.
In a separate, small saucepan, heat cream just to boiling. Stir in zest and remove from heat.
Drain the asparagus and pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
Toss pasta and asparagus with cream, dill, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water.
If pasta still looks dry, moisten with some of the remaining water.
Add lox. Toss and serve.