- 1/2 pound mix wild or domestic mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add mushrooms and cook for about five minutes or until wilted and starting to brown. Add the shallots and garlic, cook for two minutes.
Add wine and vinegar and cook until reduced by half – about 30 seconds. Add cream if using, then butter. Stir to melt.
Mushrooms should be bathing in a nice red wine bath.
Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper and top with parsley.