- 1 pound ground meat
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup ketchup or barbecue sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, optional
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 hamburger buns or 8 slider buns
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown
meat, onions and peppers. Season lightly with salt and pepper while cooking. Stir in ketchup or barbecue sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
Divide between toasted buns and serve.
Options: Replace half the chili powder with chipotle powder for some heat! Add finely chopped celery and/or carrot. Use Dijon or stone-ground mustard. Add a splash of beer and let it cook down. Use Anaheim or poblano peppers for the green pepper. Melt cheese over the Sloppy Joes.
For meatless Sloppy Joes, use TVP (textured vegetable protein) instead of the ground meat (2/3 cup dry TVP and 2/3 cup water= 1lb ground meat).