- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices cinnamon bread, day old or dried slightly in a warm oven
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tart apples, peeled, halved, cored and sliced
- Caramel sauce and/or ice cream to serve
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Whisk cream, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Dice bread and add to mixture. Stir to coat and set aside.
Melt butter in a 10-inch, oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir to melt. Add apple slices and cook for about eight minutes or until lightly golden. Arrange apples in a single layer in the pan. Pour bread mixture over apples and spread evenly across the top. Place in the oven and bake 40-50 minutes or until set.
Remove from oven and let rest for five minutes. Place a large plate over the skillet and carefully invert it onto the plate. Scoop out anything that sticks to the pan and place it on top. Drizzle or spread with your favorite caramel sauce and serve with ice cream if desired.